A few years after I was born,   
my Dad met a stranger who was   
new to our small town.

From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with
this enchanting newcomer and soon
invited him to live with our family. 

The stranger was quickly accepted and
was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned
his place in my family. In my young
mind, he had a special niche.

My parents were complementary   
instructors: Mum taught me good
from evil, and Dad taught me to
obey. 

But the stranger... he was
our storyteller. He would keep us   
spellbound for hours on end with
adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I wanted to know anything about
politics, history or science, he always
knew the answers about the past,   
understood the present and even
seemed able to predict the future!

He took my family to the first major   
league ball game.  He made me laugh,
and he made me cry. The stranger   
never stopped talking, but Dad didn't   
seem to mind.   

Sometimes, Mum would get up quietly
while the rest of us were shushing
each other to listen to what he had
to say, and she would go to the kitchen
for peace and quiet.   

(I wonder now if she ever prayed
for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain
moral convictions, but the stranger
never felt obligated to honor them.
Profanity, for example, was not allowed
in our home - not from us, our friends
or any visitors.  Our long time visitor,
however, got away with four-letter
words that burned my ears and made
my dad squirm and my mother blush.

My Dad didn't permit the liberal
use of alcohol but the stranger
encouraged us to try it on a regular
basis..  He made cigarettes look   
cool, cigars manly, and pipes   
distinguished.. He talked freely
(much too freely!) about sex.

His comments were sometimes blatant,
sometimes suggestive, and   
generally embarrassing..

I now know that my early concepts   
about relationships were influenced
strongly by the stranger. Time after
time, he opposed the values of my   
parents, yet he was seldom rebuked...   

And NEVER asked to leave.   
More than fifty years have passed   
since the stranger moved in with   
our family He has blended right in
and is not nearly as fascinating as
he was at first. 

Still, if you could walk into my parent's
den today, you would still find him sitting
over in his corner, waiting for someone 
to listen to him talk and watch him 
draw his pictures.

His name?....   

We just call him 'TV.'

(Note: This should be required reading for every household!)
He has a wife now....we call her 'Computer.'
Their first child is "Cell Phone".
Second child "I Pod "

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

Beach House is a place where I go for all the stuff that makes me happy. Is not always sunny at the beach but we will always have the beach house, a place that always bring family and friends closer even when they are distant. I hope you enjoy your time at the beach. A casa da praia é um lugar que eu vou para todas as coisas que me fazem feliz. Nem sempre tem sol na praia mas a casa da praia vai estar sempre lá, um lugar que sempre coloca família e amigos mais próximos mesmo quando estão distantes. Espero que aproveite seu tempinho aqui na praia.

About Me

My photo
From the 4th biggest city in the world, living in USA for the last four and half years, worked as bunch of things but now in love with the HR field.

Followers

Hit Me